If you need to wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, chances are you have considered LASIK surgery. LASIK can correct refractive errors and reduce or eliminate a patient’s need for corrective lenses. Wouldn’t it be nice to be free of the daily routine that contact lenses require? And wouldn’t it be nice to be free from the constant fear of losing or breaking those expensive glasses? With LASIK surgery, those things are possible. At Advanced Laser and Cataract Center, one of our experienced Oklahoma City eye doctors can let you know if you are a candidate for LASIK surgery.
It would be nice if everyone with vision problems could benefit from LASIK eye surgery. Unfortunately, there are some patients who will not be good candidates for LASIK. Our Oklahoma City patients who are LASIK candidates are those who meet the following requirements:
- Patients who receive LASIK should be 18 years of age or older to ensure that the eye has fully developed.
- Patients should have an eye prescription that has remained the same for at least a year.
- A LASIK patient needs to be free of any eye injury or infection.
- The patient’s cornea needs to be free of any scarring and of a certain thickness or LASIK will not be a viable option.
- A patient who suffers from dry eye is not a good candidate for LASIK surgery.
- LASIK candidates need to be in good health, be free from any auto immune disorders, and have no history of herpes infection in the eyes.
- A patient cannot be pregnant or nursing at the time of LASIK surgery.
Your Pre-operative LASIK Screening
Before we offer our patients in Oklahoma City LASIK surgery, a consultation will always be scheduled to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure. This consultation will consist of an eye examination that includes taking a measurement of corneal thickness and the degree of refractive error. Our doctors will also go over your medical history to rule out any increased risk of complication from LASIK. If we find that you are not an ideal candidate for LASIK surgery, we can go over alternate vision correction procedures.
All of our patients who undergo LASIK surgery should also have an understanding of the procedure, a clear expectation of results, and knowledge of the risks that are involved. Many risks associated with LASIK surgery can be avoided under the skill and experience of our surgeons. However, if LASIK is not done correctly, a patient may find themselves dealing with problems that can range in severity. Some problems may be able to be corrected by a surgeon while severe risks include permanent dry eye or other problems. Again, it is important to remember that these risks occur in very rare instances. The skillful surgeons at Advanced Laser and Cataract Center have a high success rate when performing LASIK surgery.
Schedule a Consultation
A simple exam with one of our eye doctors can let you know if you are a candidate for LASIK surgery. Schedule a consultation to learn more about the advanced vision correction services available at our practice.